Apr 27, 2020
Jurgis Kirsakmens is the developer DrinkControl, an iOS and
Android Mobile app used for tracking and monitoring alcohol
consumption. DrinkControl allows users to easily
track their drinks and convert them into standard units of alcohol.
The app lets you know when you go over the limit set by moderate
drinking guidelines, and see how much money you've spent and
calories you've consumed with your drinks.
Jurgis's journey to becoming a programmer in Riga, Latvia is
fascinating, and in this episode we get into everything from
building apps to building companies.
Thank you, Jurgis!
- How Jurgis and I got connected through my
blog post [00:00]
- His journey to becoming a developer, which includes starting
and selling a company employing over 300 people [00:00]
- How his role expanded from developer to management, marketing
and other business functions, and how he managed that change
- How he got into iPhone mobile app development specifically
- His team's first app project which, in his words, "failed
- How the DrinkControl
app idea got started [20:00]
- His philosophy on tracking drinks, and whether that comes at
the expense of having fun and being "in the moment" [23:40]
- Answering the question, "how do I learn how to code?"
- How he would approach developing a hypothetical "mood
monitoring" app from scratch with no prior experience [31:30]
- How Jurgis plans to "Do Better This Year" [36:00]
- Habit development, working in a "flow state" vs. finishing
- Closing thoughts on app development and how it fits into the
bigger picture of business, marketing and sales [43:00]